I don't want to get all preachy....(is that a word?) but I had a experience today. It got me thinking about a conversation Brad and I had a while back as we were conversing about the kind of parents we want to be. I can't take credit for the originality of it all because the hubby Brad explained it to me first, a long time ago.. but anywho...here it goes.
This morning....I was in Old Navy shopping around killing time before I met the adorable "Rollins Stalvey!" (by the way....really cute and really laid back). A lady was shopping in there with her son who looked to be about the same age as Bradley. Not being nosy but they were shopping in the same area as me so I couldn't help but hear what they were talking about. I realized quickly that this poor child couldn't do a darn thing right. I swear...I don't think he could blink the right way for this mom. She yelled at him for anything and everything. She wouldn't talk to him or teach him...she just yelled. My heart broke for this little boy. I seriously sat there for a minute and thought should I say something? Clearly that was not my place. It was obvious that this mom was having a terrible day as we all do but geez....give the little guy a break. He looked so sad.
I thought about how we all deserve respect. Even our littlest people. In Brad's words...How are our children supposed to learn respect unless we teach it to them? Its our job as parents to show them how to treat people by how we treat ourselves and each other. Its so true. I want my three children to respect me as they go from a child to an adult. So darn it. I am gonna do my best to show them the way.
Little preachy I know....but it was on my mind. I had to vent to someone besides a three year old, 15 month old, and 3 month old. What better way than to a computer that doesn't talk back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment